Breaded plaice with sauce vierge
Coat this delicate fish in panko breadcrumbs and serve with a herby sauce vierge for a seasonal dinner idea ready in 30 minutes
Preparation and Cooking Time 30 Minutes
- plain flour 3 tbsp, well seasoned
- egg 1, beaten
- panko breadcrumbs 100g
- plaice fillets 4 small
- vegetable oil for frying
- sea salt flakes
- new potatoes boiled and tossed in butter, to serve
- coriander seeds 1 tsp, lightly crushed
- extra-virgin olive oil 5 tbsp
- lemon 1, zested, 1⁄2 juiced
- cherry tomatoes 100g, diced
- baby capers 2 tsp
- basil 1⁄2 a small bunch, roughly chopped
- flat-leaf parsley 1⁄2 a small bunch, roughly chopped
To make the sauce vierge, put the coriander seeds into a small pan and toast for 2 minutes until fragrant. Pour in the olive oil and add the lemon zest and tomatoes and heat gently until the tomatoes are just soft. Add the lemon juice and capers, season lightly and remove from the heat.
Put the seasoned flour, egg and breadcrumbs into 3 separate, shallow bowls, then toss the plaice fillets first in the flour, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs.
Heat 1cm of oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Carefully lower in the plaice fillets and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until really golden, then drain on kitchen paper and season with sea salt flakes.
Stir the herbs through the sauce vierge and serve with the breaded plaice and buttered new potatoes, if you like.